Re: do stock 14" wheels fit over the disc brakes if I swap em?

Re: do stock 14" wheels fit over the disc brakes if I swap em?

Actually yes....and no. While a majority of the AMCs did come with 14" standard, a number of drum rims will not fit over the calipers. And yet others will not clear the greasecap or the centerhole, which may be too small. I encountered this problem just today as I changed (and damn, am I SORE) changed out 12 tires/rims playing musical rims on several of my cars. I have a buyer for the 79 Concord, and had to take off two of my Rally rims, and replace ie with baldies. One of them would not clear the centercap and scraped on the caliper although this rim came off a 69 AMX with drums. I uh, made it fit, heehee. At least enough to get it to drive down my driveway to the trailer the guy is bringing! And yet another was a rim with tire I tried to put on the rear of the 74 Matador seen here (someone come buy it for $450!)but this rim came off another of my 68 AMXs, and the centerhole/greasecap is too small, for the back drum of the Matador. I shoved it on anyhows, andit is barely being held on by three lugnuts.

This is a common problem with Magnum 500s which are the chrome rims AMC used in 68, 14X6 1/2s. And also the Rally rims, (painted type) used from 69-83AMCs. Whiel they do interchange with same bolt patterns, and many of them also interchange with Ford and Mopar, you have to watch the centerhole size. All of these rims were made by Detroit wheel and sold to the various automakers.

This is why I commonly tell people and have for years, if you think you aregoing to a swap meet, take off one of YOUR rims, on one of your AMCs, and hold a piece of cardboard behind it, drawing with a pen thru the holes including the centerhole. Then instead of carrying around your big ass rim on agold chain around your neck like P. Diddy, you simply carry around a smallpiece of cardboard and hold it BEHIND any rims you see that you might be interested in at a meet! And some of the rims are awesome like 14X7 chrome Magnum 500s, and even 15X7 and 15X8 chrome magnum 500s, commonly found on a number of early 70s Ford products, but these look great on a AMC. Happy swap meets, if someone can ID what meat that is on sausage on a stick let me know.
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston aMX
www.planethoustonamx.com

------=_NextPart_001_008B_01C3F72E.F6EAB8C0

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Actually yes....and no. While a majority of the
AMCs did come with 14" standard, a number of drum rims will not fit over the
calipers. And yet others will not clear the greasecap or the centerhole, which
may be too small. I encountered this problem just today as I changed (and damn,
am I SORE) changed out 12 tires/rims playing musical rims on several of my cars.
I have a buyer for the 79 Concord, and had to take off two of my Rally rims, and
replace ie with baldies. One of them would not clear the centercap and scraped
on the caliper although this rim came off a 69 AMX with drums. I uh, made it
fit, heehee. At least enough to get it to drive down my driveway to the trailer
the guy is bringing! And yet another was a rim with tire I tried to put on the
rear of the 74 Matador seen here (someone come buy it for $450!) but this rim
came off another of my 68 AMXs, and the centerhole/greasecap</FONT><FONT
face=Arial size=2>&nbsp;is too small, for the back drum of the Matador.I shoved
it on anyhows, and it is barely being held on by three lugnuts. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>This is a common problem with Magnum 500s which are
the chrome rims AMC used in 68, 14X6 1/2s. And also the Rally rims, (painted
type) used from 69-83 AMCs. Whiel they do interchange with same bolt patterns,
and many of them also interchange with Ford and Mopar, you have to watch the
centerhole size. All of these rims were made by Detroit wheel and sold to the
various automakers. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>This is why I commonly tell people and have for
years, if you think you are going to a swap meet, take off one of YOUR rims, on
one of your AMCs, and hold a piece of cardboard behind it, drawing with a pen
thru the holes including the centerhole. Then instead of carrying around your
big ass rim on a gold chain around your neck like P. Diddy, you simply carry
around a small piece of cardboard and hold it BEHIND any rims you see that you
might be interested in at a meet! And some of the rims are awesome like 14X7
chrome Magnum 500s, and even 15X7 and 15X8 chrome magnum 500s, commonly found on
a number of early 70s Ford products, but these look great on a AMC. Happy swap
meets, if someone can ID what meat that is on sausage on a stick let me
know.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Eddie Stakes'</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Planet Houston aMX</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><A
href="http://www.planethoustonamx.com";>www.planethoustonamx.com</A>
<TT></DIV></TT></FONT></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_008B_01C3F72E.F6EAB8C0--