Subject: Re: Whats the chances of these disc brakes fitting my Gremlin?

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Brien Tourville" <hh7x@xxxx> wrote:
> Date sent: 18 Feb 2004 15:12:39 -0000
> From: BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> To: BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [BaadAssGremlins] Digest Number 240
> Send reply to: BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> [ Double-click this line for list subscription options ]
>
> Message: 12
> Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 03:56:50 -0800 (PST)
> From: Davis Martin <martin-davis@xxxx>
> Subject: Re: Whats the chances of these disc brakes fitting my Gremlin?
>
> If your gonna do the conversion you will need to get everything off from
> the donnor car. unbolt the 4 bolts that attach the spindle and take
> everything attached to it, caliper mount, caliper,brake hose, dust shield,
> the bolts, spindle, the hub, the mastercylinder, booster, and
> proportioning valve.
> Grem
>
> deezildennis <dsinks@xxxx> wrote:
> I seen a late 70's early 80's concord in the the yard the other day.
> Its drivetrain and brakes where still intact. In fact I jacked up a
> wheel and spun it and slammed on the brakes and they still worked.
>
> I realize they will have to gone through to make sure all is good.
> but everything looked spiffy, even the brake hoses.
>
> They where power brakes though.
>
> So if they do work, should I pull the booster and convert my 74? ir
> should I just get the brake hardware and a new non power master cyl?

> Jeezeee!
>
> Get your Sneekers on !!
>
> Get your Tool Kit !!
>
> Get out that Door !!
>
> Get them Parts - Pronto !!
>

> Disc Brakes are SOoo much better
> than Drums - and I don't wanna hear
> dumb stories about how great your
> drum brakes are - ...........not you -
> just anyone -....... 'cause I've heard
> them on the AMC list - a big Ambo
> owner ........."......yeapp..... drum
> brakes are for me !!....... theyz werk
> swell !........." Ohh ........panic stop...?
> Add on HOW MANY MORE FEET ?
> "......nope....... never happen to me (deuuhh..) !
> .....why.......I'll just pee out the vent window
> and that'll slow me down aplenty...........!"
> "Hot water in cold air expands yah know,,,,,,,,
> and that backpressure will slow down the car ........"
>
> I grew up with them -
> I hated them then -
> Most people did -
>
> Alot of people died from those
> early jobs - seals would leak -
> grease would ooze - someone would
> stick a hose on a backing plat to
> 'wash them off'
> & they'd lock up .
>
> Couple that to tires
> with Rubber compounds that
> mirror those slippery hard rubber
> tires on Forklifts - and you can
> see that when locking up those
> binders in an Emergency -
> it was a crap shoot as to which
> tire would lock up and toss you
> where-ever .
>
> "Where's Mommy ?............."
>
> We lost one in my childhood neighborhood
> from this very thing - .

> [...]

I agree Brein and have heard all the stories on the AMX files on how good drums were on an Ambo. I had a 69 Rebel SST 4 door sedan with power drum brakes and they sucked just as bad as the vacume wipers of the day and them lousey B/W aluminum auto trans's and them narrow bias ply tires. On my yellow Hornet I had no choice as I bought the car off the floor and it had non power drum brakes. Adding the dealer power brake kit did little to make the bakes better. Luckily the new Hornet already has power disc's, and I have a disc set up off a 79 Concord to go on the yellow Hornet this spring. The 79 they came off of I drove, it was non power and did not have a proportioning valve either. Give me power.
"Doc"