"Doc's" Subframe Connectors

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Dennis jr Sinks <dsinks@xxxx> wrote:

> When I get a chance tomorrow I will tell you all how I built and installed mine.
> "Doc"
>

> Believe Us! We are holding you to that!. I want to stiffen it up as best I can. Dp you have any pics of the install? and fab?

Here's how I made my subframe connectors. If you will notice the front and rear frame rails do not run in line front to rear. I saw the spot welds in the floor where the rails were welded in and opened up the floor to expose the inside of the rail on the very back of the front rail and on the very front of the rear rail. Since they do not line up you can't just drop in a straight piece of tubeing, although that would have made this job a snap if you could. You will have to use 2 pieces of tubeing and make a dog leg to connect them. I ran the tubeing into the front frame rail 8" and welded it directly to the rail. I did the same to the rear rail but be careful you are not blocking the rear spring bolt hole when you do the rear. I measured up the front and rear pieces of 2X2 square tubeing along with the piece need to make the dog leg to connect them. I then spot welded them together, made a test fit before welding the pieces completely together on the work bench. I then spot welded them to the front and back rails before solidly welding them in. Next I cut a new piece of sheet metal to fit around the 2X2 tubeing and closed up the hole I cut in the floor to expose the inside of the frame rail and welded it in. I then sealed everything up with a frexible body joint sealer I bought from Eastwood Restoration. I also welded a piece of 2X2 tubeing 90 degrees off of the dog leg and welded it into the inside of the rocker panel. This is where I welded the base of the roll bar hoop. I gusseted all corners for extra strength. The only part of the original roll bar kit is the hoop. I redesigned everything else myself since the kit was for a coupe not a hatchback and I really didn't like their design anyway. I'll have to look to see if I have any pic's under construction pic's. I did this 3-4 years ago. The completed interior has a false floor behind the front seats so you only see the roll bar comeing through the carpet and none of the subframe conector at all. If anyone wants I can make a drawing so you have an idea of how I did it but you will have to come up with your own measurements. I only have a WEB TV so I can't post the pic's if I find them. If I do I am sure if I snail mail them to Bart he will post them for me. One last note make sure the car is sitting on a level surface and the doors are closed when you weld everything up. If it is on jack stands the same goes make sure it is level and the doors are closed. Not being level the body may be twisted slightly and once you weld everything up the twist is there forever. No do you see why I said I would post this today? It has taken me almost an hour to make this post. Happy building guy's. Before becomeing disabled at age 42 in 1989 one of my many jobs was as welder/fabricator/mechanic in construction for 17 years so this is easy for me as I built & designed special truck bodys and whatever else I was given a drawing for that was needed to be made.
"Doc"