Re: 1:18 scale gremlins

Hi - new to the forum! Sorry to get off track from the subject, but
I just wanted to add my 2 cents about the 'Holy Grail' of Hot
Wheels. I thought it was a metallic pink 'Beach Bomb' VW minibus
with the surf boards mounted either through the roof or on the sides
of the bus (whichever was different from production). It's
currently valued at $80K+. I know because it is currently on
display in the new Hot Wheels gallery at the Petersen Automotive
Museum in LA where I was a docent for 2+ years.

Best regards,

RL

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Eddie Stakes"
<eddiestakes@xxxx> wrote:
> From development and research to molds to sending all of it to
China, geraing production, and pressing can take as short as one
year. The main thing I want everyone to realize is that Playing
Mantis/Johnny Lightning usually does the cars first that have a
possibility of being run multiple times in series. This does not
include items like say, Frightning Lightning for instance, but many
other series, they want to make as many possible combinations of one
mold that they can. Such as the AMX, it was run as the Drag On Lady
in about 8 series, in a variety of colors. Then Classic Gold,
Dragsters USA, Clissic Plastic and mlore, so they have really gotten
their money out of this "run".

> As for those of you who collect this stuff, 2% of any "run" is the
coveted White Lightnings.
> These can be white lettered tires, or white under bodies, 'white
lightning' on the coin, or tires, but are worth a lot more than your
average car. Go look at some on ebay, just type in 'white lightning'
and some of the models are highly collectible, others no sales at
$10, but even at $10 that is a higher markup. I had a Corvette WL
sell for $65. Which, like lotto tickets, I simply went and bought
more JLs. So if you have a "run" of say, 20,000 pressed like the
purple/white Drag On Lady in the photo, 200 are White Lightnings.
The numbers and usually prices are even more interesting if you have
one of say the 4800 SS/AMXs in the plastic box here, it would be
like owning a real aMX prototype, few made, and no real way to put a
price on it.

> Lastly, two years ago what is considered the 'holy grail' of Hot
Wheels, a Magenta Deora sold for $76,000. It was the only one made
in that color in 1968. Seems people knew it was made but no one had
seen it since the 1970's and it was in a private collection, and a
fellow bought the guy's whole collection, only to find out how rare
it was. I do not remember if the seller knew the history of that
car, but the new owner who bought the collection promptly sold it,
and then went and bought a new real Viper.