Re: Disc Brake Question

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "lumina333" <lumina3@xxxx> wrote:
> Okay, since I don't know these things, please explain why disc brakes
> will be better than the drum brakes? I didn't think it mattered if
> they both are able to stop the car?
> --- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "hemmigremmie"
> <hemmigremmie@xxxx> wrote:
> > I to am swapping out my front drums to disc brakes. Not been real
> > bad, but the tie rod and ball joint on the pass side needs
> > replacing. I'll have to fab up the brake lines as well. Well worth
> > it in the end though. Rod

I have personal experience about the pro's and cons about drum versus disc brakes. The yellow Hornet has factory drums and the new Hornet has factory discs. The yellow car I bought off the show room floor and was a fairly well optioned car except the person that ordered it didn't even get power brakes. It was a non power drum car. Not only was the car hard to stop but as the brakes heated up they faded to the point that the car would almost not stop. I installed the dealer power brake kit which made them better but brake fade was always a problem. The new Hornet has power discs and there is no brake fade and the car stops faster and with less pedal pressure. The reason for the less pedal pressure is that the booster on a disc brake car is a double diaphram versus the single on the drum brake car. When converting to disc brakes you can still use the drum brake booster and master cyl. but the pedal pressure required to stop the car will just be a little more. I have a disc brake set up from a 79 Concord that I will put on the yellow Hornet this spring.
"Doc"