Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: More on Disk swap on 72 Gremlin

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: More on Disk swap on 72 Gremlin

I never had the opportunity to work on a car with the 4 piston calipers
but did have the unfortunate opportunity to work on cars with the
aluminum Warners. I worked as a mechanic for a small AMC dealer in town
in 1971 for 6 weeks. In 6 weeks I changed 7 of them tranny's. I made the
unfortunate mistake of buying my fathers 69 Rebel and had to do the
tranny after it was done at the dealer 15,000 miles later. That was the
worst car I ever owned. Every time you looked at that car somthing went
wrong with it. I kept it 2 1/2 years and sold it and bought my yellow
Hornet.
"Doc"

'Thanks & Giving.'

--- Begin Message --- Hi John, the crappy Bendix four piston caliper setup was used by AMC from 65
thru model year 1971. In 72 the superior Kelsey Hayes single piston setup
was used, and for later models I believe starting in 1979, Bendix was tapped
again, but had improved the setup. There is a link on my website under
"parts" as to how to change over, which many people do on their 65-71s, for
two reasons, safety is the main concern. And availability of parts is the
other. I may add I don't deduct points on cars that have upgraded to KH
setup either, but don't deduct for Bendix either. Just a choice, but have
never had any luck with Bendix brakes on the earlier models, the whole bayou
behind my house is filled with those calipers and rotors, and also Borg
Warner AT trannies, which I also dislike. My preference however, others may
vary!
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825