[BaadAssGremlins] Diecast observations

Like Eddie has stated before, diecast makers will
look to get as many variations as possible from a
given casting, and as such must be sure the specific
model is popular enough that they will sell not
just the initial version, but several more, and
often, to the same buyers. The 68/69 AMX was a hit
because it could be used to create the SS/AMX drag
cars of Shahan and the Patriot, Big Bad versions,
a street machine version, and so on.

The mistake ERTL made was in not casting the fender
extensions and quarter extensions separately,
leaving the body casting not adaptable to a 1970 AMX
run.

I'd **LOVE** to have the SC/360 in 1/18 scale, but
once you exhaust the factory colors, and a street-
machine variant, you aren't left with many more
choices for the casting. Sure, you could go scoopless
and do a 72 Hornet X, or a plainer 71 SST...but how
big will those really sell? We diehards will grab
'em up, but who else?

The Rebel MACHINE and SC/Rambler also are limited.
MACHINE's factory colors, a street-machine, and a
couple of racers...and your done....again, unless
you do a plainer SST. The Rambler has two color
combos, then a few drag cars and again, a street-
machine. Both are very limited.

Still, *I* want them, and most of us here do...
I'm just thinking about the less-diehard buyers
out there.

>From the maker's standpoint, the most 'mileage'
they'll get from a casting not yet done in 1/18
would have to be the 71-74 Javelin and AMX- but
they must plan it properly to get the most from
their investment. They'll need to cast multiple
pieces separate from the basic body shell to be
able to cover far more variations. Tail panel,
bumper guards, front valance/spoiler, rear spoiler,
multiple wheel types, front seat type (hard or
soft back), flat & cowled hoods, air cleaner types,
and so forth. The big issue would be the roof skin
change, as you don't want a separate piece for it
that would add a seam where the real car has none.
The only way to do all four years is with TWO body
shell castings plus all the detail pieces. Add to
this, all the changing colors, year to year, stripe
packages (or none at all), and you can see there's
a LOT of variations possible. add to this the Mark
Donohue racer, the Roy Woods cars (#1 and #2) in
red/white/blue, but also the yellow/black versions,
a special 1972 Javelin SST of the Alabama State
Police, the 73 Trans Am Victory edition, the Pierre
Cardin edition, and so on.

If I were working for the company, I'd do it like
this:

Plan to produce the 73/74 AMX first, and prepare
it with the multiple pieces I noted. Release it in
all the variations they can squeeze from it. THEN,
create a second casting for the 71/72 shell and
the few detail pieces needed to make them accurate,
while reusing as much as possible from the 73/74
originals.

You may ask why do the 73/4 cars first. This is
the 'DVD' way of doing things! The 71/72 *look*
tends to be more popular. THUS, you quench the
desire of it's fans with the 73/4 version...cuz
they'll be happy enough that the car is so close
to their favorite car. THEN, when you've milked
that dry, you release the 71/2 and the same buyers
of the 73/4 will come back for the car they really
wanted all along!

Ah, capitalism!

Me? I'll buy one of every freakin' humpster they
produce! And if they are REALLY accurate, I'll
contact them to do a special variation exclusively
for my website....an LE available thru the site only.
It would likely be a 72 AMX PC 401/4spd Go Pak
in Plum Metallic, and a special www.JavelinAMX.com
logo on the trunklid. SWEET!!

John W Rosa
http://www.JavelinAMX.com