RE: [BaadAssGremlins] eBay item 2492672215 (Ends Oct-10-0410:10:53 PDT)

RE: [BaadAssGremlins] eBay item 2492672215 (Ends Oct-10-0410:10:53 PDT) - AMC : AllModels

Well it's a shame to say it but it probably is worth more parted out.
Don't get me wrong, I am not I favor of parting out restorable cars,
especially my favorite the Hornet Hatchback, but by the description this
is a money pit car. All the plus's it has being an "X" and V8 and Levis
is not going to change the fact that it is going to cost quite a few
bucks to make it just road worthy, never mind a nice car when you do the
interior and the body work and paint. When you buy a car it's nice to
see it has all the desirable options but you have to be realistic and
weigh what all the repairs are going to cost and factor that into the
price you are willing to pay for the car. Face facts AMC cars are not on
the list of most desirable cars. On most restorations even on the
desirable ones you barely break even on resale unless you buy someone
unfinished project for penny's on the dollar. I know what it take &
costs to make one of these cars mechanically sound just to be a daily
driver. I figured I would be done with the mechanicals on my orange car
long before now and still am not done. I got over 3,500$ plus the 500$ I
paid for the car in it now and 99% of that is mechanical repairs and a
few upgrades, and no cosmetic's yet. You can throw all the Hatchback
tents in the world at a car like that and it isn't going to make the
cost of bringing it back any cheaper or make it worth any more. Just My
2 cent's.
"Doc"
I had a Hatchback tent and used it all through the 70's to go camping in
with the wife and 2 kids.

Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used

--- Begin Message ---
Doc,

Doc,

Gotta disagree a bit. The V8-specific parts are
worth $500 by themselves (crossmember, mounts,
springs, rear axle, etc). Then the V8 VIN
has it's own value. Then it's an X model, and
a Levis model. He's also throwing in an NOS in
the box hatch tent kit which is worth a good
$200 or so.

If the reserve is $1000, I'd say it's not a
rip off....it's just not a 'steal'. Certainly,
the red one is a better deal at $1500, tho.

John