[BaadAssGremlins] re: AMC values 2013

I posed the amc-lister comment on several groups on facebook of which there
was a myraid of replies as diverse as AMC itself!

Richard Lecco
When you have a population that thinks the problems of the world can be
solved inside of an hour, it's no wonder people have short attention spans.
I met a guy at Barrett-Jackson last weekend who lost interest in his
custom-from-scratch-built '34 Ford hot rod because it took two years to
build instead of six months. More money than brains, I guess.

AV- Nauha
For me the sales prices do not really matter. I'm not into AMCs to make
money.

Glenn Yaromy
I'm in the auto body business Richard. It happens a lot...believe me.

Don Stratemeyer
I have found that if you are in a hurry to sell you will never get top
dollar. I have several times spent years to get what I believe to be a fair
price out of a car. Impatience works against you.

Lou Savaglio
The market is down that is for sure. And it is across the board not just
AMC's

Mark Zeno
Rambler still lives up to its name: a great value for a great price. I guess
some things never change.

Kevin Corcoran
If it's who I think it is he needs to stick with Mack trucks and quit
badmouthing AMC. You never the chevy guys trash their cars yet some AMC guys
do it all the time. Until we respect our cars no one else will

Liam Griffin
you did your part but more importantly you gave people the means to restore
there's with your website.

John Rosa
'Driving around trying to sell it'? Then what, Craigslist? You want top
dollar, go where the big spenders are. Top dollar requires top effort, both
in the quality of the build and the quality of the advertising and selling
process. That said, since when did NADA reflect reality? And let's not
forget 5 years ago is about 6 months before the economy tanked. Fewer buyers
and more sellers = lower prices. Timing is nearly everything.
Brandon Heller
You don't restore a car to sell it. You restore it to how you want it and
sell it if you only have too. I know I'm going to put over 30k into my
javelin amx. 3500 front end, 7k rear end, 10k motor, 7k trans, 5k+ paint n
body work, but itll be worth it to me cause its what I want. People surround
themselves in how much something is worth money wise instead how much its
worth personally

Ramsey Lopatic
Putting 30k into an amc with the end goal to sell is about as intelligent as
buying a brand new car just to sell it. Fool me once shame on you, fool me 5
times... hear just take my wallet because I clearly have more money than
brains.

Don Holzer
If you bought it to make some tender coin it is difficult at best most all
AMC people are cheap

Richard Lecco
The only way you can make money spending that kind of cash on a car
restoration is if the car itself is such a rare and desirable piece of
unobtainium that it makes financial sense. That's why Mustangs and Camaros
are always the most commonly restored cars, because parts and sheetmetal are
so easy to find, to the point where you can literally build an entire car
from scratch without a single part having ever seen the inside of an OEM
factory; And NADA numbers are only good for used cars less than 10 years
old, not collectible musclecars. Car dealers don't give a damn about
collector cars, they only care about what's in their inventory.Unless
they're restoring Duesenbergs, Bugattis, Ferraris, Bentleys, or other either
exotic or old (upwards of 75 years) cars, there should be NO expectations of
making money restoring cars. You can have a side business whose income you
could use to fuel your restoration efforts, but restorations rarely pay for
themselves. If you watched Barrett-Jackson on TV last weekend, you probably
couldn't count the number of times the auctioneers remarked about how the
sale price of the beautifully restored car they just sold was far below the
cost of the restoration itself. People lost a TON of money on their cars
last weekend.

Dan Curtis (AMC musclecars)
Then he obviously is not marketing them correctly or he is not doing the
things people look for and/or in a hurry to sell them. We get good pricesvpn
the cars we do but on the other hand, we have the ability to wait for the
right buyer rather than hive them away to the first person that makes a
legitimate

Tom Morrison
The folks on the AMC-list gave wise info years ago: don't put money into an
AMC thinking you'll get it back if and when you sell it, because you won't.
AMC's just don't have that "thing" other makes have; it's that simple

Tim Garrett
I NEVER bought an AMCbecause I thought it was going to make me money. I
bought them because I liked them and wanted to drive them. I'll likely spend
more to re-do my Hornet than it will ever be worth, but it is the only one I
want to own and I do not plan on selling it, especially given what I went
through to buy it back a second time, so to me it really doesn't matter. One
might be amazed what happens 20 years from now when yet even FEWER are left
to go around and the prices of the other makes are even more outrageous than
they are now. AMC's will ALWAYS lag behind the big three, it's sad, but
true.

Jordan Embleton
I'm finding that amc's are in a bit of an up swing, they are selling fairly
quickly when listed and lots of people restoring then right now, that being
said a 35k car is going to take a while to sell and a 50-75k car has to be
pretty special but when was the last time period in muscle car sales that
amc's could sell for 35k or 50k I don't think they have ever been this high
before, as well models such as rebels and ambos and classics are selling and
they were always crusher feed. I don't think they will ever go sky high like
some cars but they are selling and for pretty good money

Scott Carpenter
It's not about what it costs to restore, its about what someone is willing
to pay.

William Jalensky
First with or economy you can get most anything cheap, he must have need the
money.I have a 1970 AMX back halved car and can't give it away yet 4 years
ago I had an offer of 25k I turned down.. now is the time to buy, not
sell!!!

Mike Serpe
Unfortunately, sad but true. You either love AMC's and restore them to drive
and be your baby, but you don't restore them to sell and make a profit. At
least not in this economy.

I'll comment later....
Eddie Stakes
Planet Houston AMX