[BaadAssGremlins] Re: nice 73 Hornet Sportabout in auction no reserve

[BaadAssGremlins] Re: nice 73 Hornet Sportabout in auction no reserve

On Jack Dale's comments:
"From: Jack Dale <mercendarian@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "AMC, Rambler, Nash, Jeep and family" <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] nice 74 amc hornet spoortabout in auction no
reserve

Dear Eddie:? You don't tell us the engine/transmission/does it have AC. And
you should try to beg, borrow, "steal (borrow with INTENT to return, after
copying the parts!)", Gucci-parts, because that could add as much/more than
what it would cost to do, and Ensure that your highest price was reached at
auction.? It's a color that some Gucci-sportabouts came in.? I've seen
several, and they are AWESOME.? You'd need seat-covers, door panels, and the
emblem which was on the front fenders mid-way between the leading edge of
the front door and the rear of the front wheelwell. The Gucci emblem could
be done as a 3-D replication, or as a sand-cast of pot-medal,
painting/enameling & plating it once it cools, and because they were
straight-stripes of various colors, an upholstry shop? COULD "reproduce" the
Gucci-striping, on new/old seat bottoms & door panels. You'd SAY, maybe, its
a HERESY to take a Non-Gucci and make it a Gucci--it wouldn't match the trim
code on the door.  I don't know if the trim would say "spec" for special, or
what. I...would say that I knew of a guy that wanted one, and when another
one got wrecked, he changed-out the interior/emblems, and I would excuse it,
because people could THEN SEE how COOL AMC cars could Be, back in the day.
I don't see it as any different than some of these Classic-owners taking a
sedan body off of a Pierce-Arrow or Packard and putting on a long-wheelbase
roadster-boat-tail body, or other exotic.  I didn't see the interior from
the pictures, and often, if the interior isn't shown, it's damaged or simply
"tired" and needing a "redo." I hope this helps. Oh yeah, they didn't offer
the Gucci-Sportabout in '74, but they did in '72-73, and should have in '74,
imo."

Not sure what above is about, but if you read the original FORWARD...you
would see that Tom Hamilton's 73 AMC Sportbaout is in auction in
California.:

"My beautiful all original 1973 AMC Hornet Sportabout station wagon will be
sold at a no reserve auction this Sunday, Feb 24th at McCormick's classic
car auction in Palm Springs, CA. Check my car out here:
http://www.classic-carauction.com/auction_details.cfm?pagesubid=37&auctionid=5796
Tom Hamilton tommgb2001@xxxxxxxxx? ? 818-551-1872"

And any interested parties can easily pick the phone and call Tom about the
vehicle before it goes to auction no reserve. I don't think it is a Gucci,
nor would it matter Gucci Hornet's rarely bring anything like the excellent
condition N code 360V8 green one in San Antonio a few years ago for $3500.
This one on craigslist basically has not floor and been for sale for awhile:

http://tuscarawas.craigslist.org/cto/3487660631.html

I don't see anyone rushing out to clone or replicate a Gucci Hornet although
it has been done. I also don't see anyone reproducing the Gucci Hornet "coat
of arms" as zero market for them, not many Gucci Hornets exist. The door
trim tag could be easily stamped, but why? It would not add much to the
vehicle's worth. Sort of like adding 'Trans Am Victory Edition' decals to
one's 73-74 Javelin fenders, cool but does not increase value.

The interior can easily be redone in same grain vinyl or one could spring
for NOS stuff at SMS. The point is that someone could easily make a Gucci
wagon, but why?

In Tom's auction photos
http://www.classic-carauction.com/auction_details.cfm?pagesubid=37&auctionid=5796

there are only 4 photos of the car. I suggest to anyone with a half ass
interest in the car to pick up phone and call him for more information, or
quickly email him for more photos that the auction site has allowed shown.
The car is not mine, and have zero interest in it, but did talk to the
fellow at length (which obviously someone didn't do before posting, duh) and
Tom seemed like a nice fellow with a nice looking car and posted his ad on
my site, FREE to anyone, and I told him I would repost it here. Hopefully it
will go to someone who can appreciate it. If they want to 'build a lego like
Gucci car' then I am all for it, I'll sell them the door trim tag to stamp,
and also will point them in right direction to several AMCers I know who are
parting out Hornet & Gremlin series, so they can make a Gucci. I also put
him in contact with a number of California and Arizona AMCers and chapters
to 'spread the word' on the car for more interest perhaps.

I'll repeat this to avoid snarky comments from peanut gallery, this was in
original post:
"not mine above but looks like a clean car."

Yes, AMC's 'were cool back in the day' and still are!

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/amc-amx-collection-stakes.jpg

I just got back in from grocery shopping in my own 74 AMC Hornet Sportabout,
sure fits a good amount of groceries in that wagon.
Eddie Stakes
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825 days
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx