[BaadAssGremlins] EGR valve

Question will a stuck egr valve cause my Gremlin not to idle when it is hot. With these 100 degrees temp I haven't had it out all summer. We are having a cool 92 today so I decided to get it out. It started ran fine when I drove it around the block so I decided to take it on the expressway. I drove it at 65 for about five miles everything seemed fine. I got off and it quit. Well after a few minutes a few fingers stuck in my face and a couple of FU's because they had to go around me I got it started. It still wouldn't idle so I had to drive home with my foot halfway up the carb. I tried a few things when I got home but nothing help until after fustration set in I started tapping the egr valve with my channel locks. I swear I heard that thing pop. I got in and the car started right up and idled fine. Now my other question is if I take the vacum hose off the EGR vave and plug it will that keep the egr valve from doing anything and would that cure my problem or would I have to replace it if that is the problem
Terry