RE: [BaadAssGremlins] Insurance card

That way the state can make him buy physical plates, too, and double their sales revenues.

Oh.. no, wait... it's probably not that.
No, it is not that. The plates are included in the cost of registration. Doesn't matter if its a new registration when you get the plates, or a renewal. Same price.

LS:  Ohhhh... see that's different than this state.  Here, the physical plate costs actual money.  If you need one, which you always do, you have to buy one.   BUT, if you turn around and sell the car, the plate can be turned back in for a partial rebate that's not quite pro-rata.... minus a 'fee' on top of that.

LS:  But this state, Kansas, was until recently the most costly state to tag a vehicle, costing upwards of a thousand bucks for a brand new luxury car and right at a c-note for ANY car.  This has since changed, but not radically.  Other states are not so greedy with their registration as this one.

Also, to insure that you turn in the plates, the Ins Co will not cancel your insurance until you give them the receipt for the surrendered plates. It keeps a lot of unregistered, ununsured plates off the road.. A very good system.
Why so much bellyaching?

LS:  If you believe it's a good system, that's fine with me.  I'm certain, however, that your police write tickets each and every day for unregistered, uninsured, etc.   So how well it works, without data, is up for considerable discussion.  Still in all, if you're satisfied with your state, I have no complaint.

L.