From: Robert <baddassgremlin@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Gremlin Lives! II
To: BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Friday, May 23, 2008, 2:06 PM

Ok, that explains it better, thanks. I had the lakewood traction bars
on my 72 Grem, which I welded the new mounts on to the Lakewood bars
bottom plate, worked good. My 73 that I'm doing now I installed the
Cal Trac set up and the mounts had to be "custom" fabricated on to
the Cal Tracs spring plates also, which Cal Tracs did for me and sent
them to me going off my specs. But anyway, just be careful when you
weld on to the diff housing because of the inside of the housing
being coated with gear lube,,, If air can get in it could make for a
smoldering, sticky little fire.... Keep up the good work, Bob in MN.

--- In BaadAssGremlins@ yahoogroups. com, "lumina333" <lumina333@. ..>
wrote:

> The original spring plates will not work because I have a 9" Ford
> rearend in it which changes the angle of the shocks. And the
orginal
> plates wouldn't work with the 3" Ford axle either (stock U bolts
were
> too short). I also installed traction bars. Now the shocks won't
> clear the axle. (Davis is using the same Lakewood bars on his car &
> don't know how he mounted his shock on the passenger side - it can
> bolt up on the driver's side tab). So, in short, it's easier to
mount
> the shocks like coil overs using weld-on brackets. ~Lu~
> --- In BaadAssGremlins@ yahoogroups. com, "Robert" <baddassgremlin@ >
> wrote:
> >
> > Lu, why are you not welding the shock mounts on the bottom spring
> > plates like where the original ones were ? What spring plate
mounts
> > did you use?
> > Bob in MN.
> >
> > --- In BaadAssGremlins@ yahoogroups. com, "lumina333" <lumina333@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks Rick (& everyone who responded). I am now working on
> > adjusting
> > > the timing and I found that the power steering pump is bad (one
> of
> > > the few original parts I reused from the Matador - wouldn't you
> > know
> > > it). I now have a new pump in hand and will install it today.
The
> > > rear shocks must be mounted (got some brackets to weld to the
> axle
> > > housing for that). After another brake check and front end line
> up,
> > > it should be ready for its first drive. This is so exciting! I
> > can't
> > > believe this project has finally made it to this point. Thanks
> for
> > > all the encouragement & advice BAG group! ~Lu~

> > > experience.. .....just wait till you get to take the Gremlin for
> > > spin. Keep plugging away,......it won't be long.