[BaadAssGremlins] Re: Would I pay.....??

[BaadAssGremlins] Re: Would I pay.....??

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Eddie Stakes"
<eddiestakes@...> wrote:

> A few comments on this thread. I tell people DAILY, yes, DAILY, to
take a
> look at their car. It don't matter whether it is a Gremlin, Classic,
Eagle,
> AMX, you name it. 90% of what you are looking at will never be made
again.

>...someone who has been a vendor for a company
> for 23 years now that the company has long since faded into automotive
> history. So whatever one does with their money, with their car, and
their
> time, is o-tay with me, but don't forget the bigger picture.
> Eddie Stakes'
> Planet Houston AMX
> 713.464.8825
> eddiestakes@...
> www.planethoustonamx.com

---> Amen. I'm wondering what parts are most needed by everyone here
and in general in the hobby with the post-64 cars, stuff that is
common across a lot of models for a long time with big numbers behind
it. Grilles? Door handles? Sill plates? Doo dads? Maybe we oughta take
a poll and rate a list or somethin'. It seems as if I live in a
comparative land of riches next to you guys. I guess cuz all these
people coming to the desert are beating their old Concords and Eagles
to death getting here or something. Basically, what I am getting to is
that if there are common things like door handles etc that are hard
for you guys to get, I generally look at about 10-20 AMC's every few
weeks in local Phoenix junkyards. Maybe I can collect a box or two of
these things sometimes and either provide them at reasonable cost, or
tip 'em out to vendors for less than they normally pay, or
something(except they probably get it for less than I could dream of).
Or I can do exactly what everyone else is doing, just stockpile this
shit, never tell anyone, and wait till prices hit the right level to
start selling onesies and twosies. Most of this stuff can be had in
reasonable shape, at decent prices. I make my own job as I go, so if
it's worth my time, I CAN become SemiPro Parts Hunter if need be. I
don't sell over the internet right now, and I hardly ever advertise in
the paper. I just sell and trade what I get when I get it, probably
80% just local word of mouth. This is the only thing funding my AMC
effort.
 Some recent examples (last six months) are a 1968 Rebel Mariner wagon
still restorable and mostly complete was crushed and hardly touched(I
got the wood-look steering wheel and some knobs for my 69 Javelin).
 There's a 79 Spirit AMX with a six and auto right now (unless they
crushed it in the last week) that has a sunroof. I saw an Eagle wagon
with leather that was absolutely untouched. That same car had chrome
A/C swivel vents in the shelf, and a 5-speed with the 4-gauge console.
It also had that big window-edge trim that some Eagle wagons have.
 A month ago, I took the dash pad and inserts and the headliner out of
a cool 72 Hornet 2 door that had upholstery that looked like it was
named "Striped Pool Floater" or something. If I would have known the
door sill plates were a big deal then, I could have grabbed a nearly
perfect set. The belt buckles had really tiny AMC triangles arranged
in a circle, all embossed and painted. There was a 78 Gremlin that I
got the glass, luggage rack, hubcaps, dome light, and bumpers. 74
Sportabout for the dash frame. 82 Concord 4 door with chrome latch
bezels on the door panels. All of this is just a scratch. I can't stay
up with what's going past. It's like watching time fly past. And these
yards will hardly ever sell a car, only parts, no shells.
 Me, personally, I'm voting for the center control panel in a Gremlin
dash. I want to use the best example I can possibly find to take a
mold from to start making 'em in fiberglass for my needs or by the
order. Unless anybody here knows where the repro ones are?
 Never mind.
  mike