[BaadAssGremlins] Re: E85 question

Pax,
  Although alcohol, whether it be corn based or wood based is a cool
burning fuel. It offers many benefits for a race car, but used alone
without blending with gasoline, offers too many drawbacks to be used
in a daily driver. To remove the same amount of BTU's as gasoline,
you need twice as much. In plain terms, a car that gets 10MPG for
instance will now get 5MPG with alcohol. And yes you are correct
about eating everything in sight, alcohol is very corrosive, not to
mention the problems with rubber......

> ok, this is kooky, i know, but i'm curious.  has
> anyone here used E85 (ethanol) in either a modern
> flexible fuel vehicle, or attempted to use it with
> their old 70's carborated car?
>
> i'm in illinois where E85 is a new big thing and
> there's talk of removing the taxes on it (to help the
> farmers, yada yada).  it's available at many of my
> local gas stations and is a lot cheaper than gas.
> according to my trusted mechanic and my chemist
> husband, converting my 78 gremlin to a flexible-fuel
> vehicle won't involve much more than installing larger
> jets in my carb.  my gas milage will go down, but the
> cost to get from point a to point b will be
> considerably less.
>
> but really, what are the bugs in this system?  from
> what i understand, E85 eats rubber hoses for breakfast
> and gaskets for dinner.
>
> if my car wasn't already a trusty daily driver, i'd
> just go ahead and do it out of curiousity.
>
> pax
>
> "I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make
as they go flying by." -- Douglas Adams

http://us.click.yahoo.com/B9pRWD/3MnJAA/Y3ZIAA/YtqqlB/TM