[BaadAssGremlins] Re: So, how many leafs do I need??

[BaadAssGremlins] Re: So, how many leafs do I need??

Davis,

Well, it's not so much custom as it is doing the re arching and
putting the spring together with good clamps.

After to talking to you, and some other folks, I called the spring
guy back.  I'm going to use the Gremlin's main spring, then the next
spring is from the Spirit/AMX, it's main spring with the eyelet ends
cut off as the number two spring, then the next three springs
probably from the Spirit AMX as well.  A total of 5 springs.  I think
it will probably be real similar to your springs and I can use my
existing u bolts as well.

I doubt this guy could do a monoleaf set up, not without charging me
an arm and a leg.

This with my custom slapper bars should work I think.

Have you ever seen the 4 link/leaf suspension?  It's a hybrid 4 link
using the leaf springs as two of the links.  I have a pretty good
write up on it and it sounds like a pretty slick set up.  Someday, I
may step up that...or in the interim, Cal Tracs...

> Phil,
>  If your gonna have your springs custom done, If it were me, and I
had that opportunity, I would have him make up a set modeled after
the Dodge super stock monoleaf springs. It is a single spring made
specifically for drag racing application. No traction bars needed.
>  I didn't have the 3-400 bucks the local shop wanted at the time so
I went with ESPO's HD 5 leaf set which was 165.00 shipped. In
hindsight It would have been the same money after buying the CE
traction bars, so I should have gotten the custom springs.
>  Of course the best way would be to switch to a ladder bar/
coilover shock rear suspension.
>  Any way that is just my opinion.
>  Davis
>
> phl_campbell <misteramx@xxxx> wrote:
>

> After talking to Davis and some others, there is a bit of confusion
> to my leaf spring issue. To make a long story short, I took my
> Chremlins 4 leaf springs to be re arched as the car, even with
> spring shackle extensions and leaf clamps, sits nearly on top of
the
> tires...and the springs are flat as you look at them while the car
> is stationary, no arch at all. Spring guy is using those springs
> along with some other springs from a set of Spirit AMX springs and
> making one good set for my race car, the Chremlin. He was
> indicating that he would be using 7 leafs per side.
>
> Some have suggested overkill, others see no problem with it. Is
> there some formula for this? Other than the weight, is there any
> issues with running that many leaf springs? I'm pretty sure I'll
> have the axle windup issue under a lot more control, but will I
> actually be doing more harm than good? I can deal with the added
> weight as it's in the rear and I have yet to pull the rear bumper.
>
> Your thoughts??
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

'Thanks & Giving.'