[BaadAssGremlins] Trans Removal

As mentioned previously, I've gutted my 72 Gremlin
both inside and out.  When I pulled the engine and
trans (232, 3spd manual), they came out together.

After several months of dismantling the body, I turned
my attention to the engine which is still chained to
the cherry picker.  I figured since it was so
conveniently accessible I'd go ahead and have a valve
job and cleanup the rest of it.  Anyway, I removed the
manifiolds, fuel, pump, water pump and thermostat
housing.  I was going to remove the transmission but
hit a snag.  While I've done engine work prior, I've
never actually removed a transmission from a block
before.

I've got a detailed shop manual that talks about
removing the the transmission from the bell housing
which is pretty straight forward however, I couldn't
get the bolts undone.  So, I unbolted the bellhousing
from the block but I couldn't get it off.  The book
talks about removing the bellhousing but it's not
clear exactly what to expect when doing that.  Suffice
it to say it didn't just fall off.  Hence my
question.... Exactly what does one have to do to
disengage from the block?  I want to be careful that I
don't damage anything.

Thanks.

Bill
Dallas, TX
'72 Gremlin
'72 Olds Custom Cruiser Wagon (newly restored)
'71 Mark III
'70 Cadillac Convertible

Give the gift of life to a sick child.