One more rant on SpeedTV's Muscle Car challenge

One more rant on SpeedTV's Muscle Car challenge

I tried to figure out a way to better balance
and properly represent the Muscle Car challenge
that SpeedTV so magnificently botched, and came
up with the following.

First- dump the burn-out contest...just plain
stupid as the smoke was more a result of the
tire construction that some imaginary 'better
spinning capability' which only advertises
your poor traction.

Second- Muscle Cars (as previously defined)
were intended to be 1/4-mile cars. All else
was moot. Thus, only 1/4-mile comparisons
matter if you truly are gauging the 'Best
Muscle Car'.

Here's a shoot-out I'd like to see, where GM
doesn't stack the odds by submitting the same
damn car under all four marques.

All true Muscle Cars (2-doors, intermediate wheel-
base, powerful V8) all between 375 and 400 cubes.
Put this group through all of SpeedTVs tests (except
the spin travesty) and see what shakes out. If you
feel a more fitting car belongs in place of something
I placed here, let me know...but don't offer a Pony
or Sports car...this is a Muscle Car contest.

1970 AMC Rebel MACHINE 390 Ram Air
http://www.musclecarcalendar.com/TM13.jpg
1970 Plymouth Road Runner 383 Magnum w/ Air Grabber
http://www.70roadrunner.com/MVC-400S.JPG
1968 Ford Torino 390-4v
http://www.dearbornclassics.com/images/rl68torino.jpg
1970 Chevelle SS 396
http://www.musclecars-and-classics.com/images/70_Chevelle_19.jpg

Yea, I know....ours is a small block, the rest
are big blocks. To really test 'comparable' cars,
you need to drop down to, say, Pony Cars with Small
Block 4v V8s in the 340-360cid range.

Now it can be a test of multiple performance
criteria types, to include braking, handling, etc.
The winner being a true 'Muscle Car' becomes very
unlikely.

But now it gets complicated. Are we talking
about 'money-is-no-object' cars? Or do you
qualify entries based on original sticker
price and handicap each? After all, your
wallet was also an influence on what to
choose.

Do you include 'specials' like SC/Rambler,
SS/AMX and HEMI Dart?

Do you find concourse-restorations with ZERO
mods, running 1960s-formula fuel on proper
size, make and vintage model tires?

Do you restrict options so that if one competitor
doesn't have a rear sway bar, none may wear one?
Or do you simply say 'if it was in on the options
list, it's allowed'?

Do you establish a narrow CID range so comparable
engines are hauling the cars?

Heck, this can go on and on.

How about "Best Pony Car of the Muscle Car era"!?
(Small Block 4v V8s in the 325-375cid range)

1970 Javelin-SST 360-4v Go Pak Ram Air
http://www.javelinamx.com/javhome/events/albany98/70md1-1.jpg
1970 Cuda 340-4v w/ Shaker Ram Air
http://www.cars-on-line.com/13400/70cuda13465-A.jpg
1970 Mustang Mach 1 351-4v w/ Ram Air
http://www.americandreamcars.com/1970mustang091202.jpg
1970 Camaro SS 350-4v
http://www.classiccarsetc.com/JSA%20LATEST/Dscf2490.jpg

Now I think we have a contest!!
Heck, I'd almost finance this show myself if real
controls were in place to assure totally-stock,
un-tweaked cars were found and pounded for the
event.

John