From: "Sandwich Maker" <adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2017 4:18:58 AM
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] BBD Carburetors and HEI--Dist Gear

right at the beginning of this thread, i wrote that the motorcraft
shaft is 17/32" while the prestolite and delco - both points and hei -
are 1/2", and that i used my old points delco gear on my 'new' hei.

ken ames is right about the duraspark upgrade for the motorcraft dist;
i found the info with a search for 'tfi tuneup'.

" From: Matt Shumaker <mshumaker@xxxxx>
"
" What Jim Blair wrote sounds correct.  I made this swap in 1999 or so I
" think.  (Where does the time go?)  So my memory is not exact.  I may
" have bought a purpose-made distributor gear that fit on the GM
" distributor.  I recall that the distributor gear I used was a tight fit
" with no wobble.  1999 was a time when many of the AMC cars with BBD
" carburetors were still on the road, so the HEI conversion had become a
" sort of cottage industry.  I bought my conversion from an online source
" that had been linked from the old AMX-Files website and list.
"
"
" >
" > From: Jim Blair <carnuck@xxxxxxxxxxx>
" >
" > You have to be careful when you do the gear swap because the Motorcraft ignition gear has a bigger hole and will wobble on the GM HEI shaft and wipe out itself and the cam gear.
" >
" > I recall the first year of HEI was '74 on the inline 6 GM motors. 250 and 292 until the last GM inline 6 in '85 or so (I think the G series vans were the last)
" >     They had an in cap coil and external coil on the same base with different cap/rotor styles and pickup coil as well as harness was different.