From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>(Sandwich Maker)
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] Need to convert an emissions carb and EI
   distributor    to dumb versions in a 258...

" From: A Griffith <amc.rambler.fan@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:amc.rambler.fan@xxxxxxxxx>>
"
" Sooo, I have an 1983 J10 with a 258 and the previous owner DESTROYED the emissions vacuum system.  Half of the parts are gone and pretty much everything is disconnected.
"
" I want to replace the AMC EI ignition system with a dumb set of points and replace the emission Carter BBD carb with a 'dumb' 2bbl.
"
"
" Here's my question:
"
" 1) Is there a 'bolt-on' fix to switch the distributor to points? (or a Pertronix type solution)?

yes; an older delco points dist will drop straight in.  the spark
won't be as  hot as your present ford duraspark setup though.

also a drop in is a chevy straight 6 dist, except for the drive gear;
you need one from an amc delco or prestolite [1/2" shaft].  the
duraspark shaft is different [17/32"].  i had a hei on my '68 199 and
it was trouble free.

" 2) What's a direct bolt-on [non-emissions] 2bbl carb that can replace the Carter BBD?
"
" 2a) If there's not a dumb Carter BBD solution, what parts do I need to mount the Motorcraft 2100?

i don't know off the top of my head, but the bbd is 'small base' and i
believe the motorcraft is 'large base', so you'd need at least an
adapter.

iirc mopar used a bbd on small v8s for a long time, but with divorced
chokes and not integral like amc.  holleys are usually 'large base'
but they made a carb for mopar in the early '80s to replace the bbd on
318s, and it also has a divorced choke.

the carter 2bbl used earlier on amc sixes is also 'small base' but it
is mounted longitudinally and has shaft linkage, not cable.

afaik rochester carbs are 'small base'.