[AMC-list] BBD rebuild and question

I just rebuilt the BBD carb on my Hornet, it came out real nice.
I did the clean-out trick described by various sites, the one about removing the venturi cluster and cleaning it real good with a piano wire, etc.
However, they descrbed taking apart the choke mechanism and removing the plate in order to gain access the cluster. I figured since I need to buy a gasket for the cluster anyways, I would just split the airhorn. That worked out rean nice. No fumbling with those little screws and I am not worrying if the choke plate is going to work loose and drop a screw into the carb.
Also I was able to remove that little ball check and spray everything.
Take out the air bleed screws too.
Yes, the carb will need to come off, but that is a whole lot easier for a stumble bum like my self to remove the carb, than to lean over the car, dropping stuff everywhere.
With a little adjustments the 156K miliage Sporty wagon, she just sat there idling like a watch. Nice.
New cap and plugs helped too, by the way.
I have a question on the nutter set-up, though.
Can I just remove that doo-dad altogether, then build a little plate to seal the carb. I see there is an extra airway in the carb, what can I do with that. This is on a carb I have sitting on the shelf.
Thanks all......Bill