Re: [AMC-list] Exotic AMC engines?

I guess you're right.  That must be why AMC was caught "flat-footed" when the Wankle engine for the Pacer fell through/became impractical.  A cammer-head for the inliners would have attracted more press for the Pacer, but they slapped a two barrel on the 258cu 6, and that was that.  '75 was when they should have been developing the old Willys OHC on the IKA Torino.  I like their 2nd-gen. efforts, except that AMC damaged its brand, imo, with that bearing that'd spin due to insufficient oil to the mains on wild acceleration.   There should have been a RECALL to ensure long-life to that bearing, that caused AMC millions (I'm guessing) in warranty claims.

________________________________
 From: Jeff Reeves <amcnut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, January 2, 2013 4:44 PM
Subject: [AMC-list] Exotic AMC engines?

Jack, I have absolutely no idea why there is no more information about experimental AMC engines. My educated S.W.A.G. is that AMC was too cheap to pay up for too many engine variations. They had designs which did their job and did it well. The stodges that were at the helm of AMC in the 60s and 70s were already juggling hot potatoes trying to develop cars that people would actually buy--they simply didn't have the resources to spend a lot of R&D budget on new engines when the existing designs were already paid for. I'm sure that if they absolutely hadn't been forced to by the competitive market AMC would have soldiered right on with the 250/287/327 V8 family and the six cylinders. As it was, they developed the excellent Gen II/III V8s that carried through until the end of the company.

I suspect that had they had the budget for it that AMC would certainly have come up with something innovative over the years, engine-wise. They did the best they could with what they had and spent their available funds in the styling department.

Of course, as I said this is my opinion. I'm sure that someone will pipe up and either support my position or tear me down--either is fine if it helps shed light on your mystery.

Jeff Reeves
AMO Tech Editor
01 Grand Cherokee
72 Javelin SST