Re: [AMC-list] Met a guy very interested in my '65

Re: [AMC-list] Met a guy very interested in my '65

Bruce, I'd say keep it and give the kid the Subaru, until you said your wife won't get in it. While you could use it as a daily driver for yourself, how much fun would it be going to shows with it if she'd go if it was a newer car? Side impact isn't a problem with that body, I can tell you that from experience -- Nissan Exterra T-boned my 63 Classic at 45 mph (same basic body as the 64-69 American, just a few inches wider and longer). The steering column is a different story. You can change that out to a 67-69 column, and you can install good retractable shoulder belts without much trouble -- but would that satisfy her? If not you probably need to find a 74+ car. Maybe a 67-69 Rebel or Ambassador would be acceptable though. It was 73-74 that the side impact beams were added to the doors. The Matadors are good sized cars, don't know if you'd like that. The Hornet is a little tighter than the American, but not too much so.

--
Frank Swygert
Editor - American Motors Cars Magazine