Re: [AMC-list] GM 6 speed to AMC Gen 2

" From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 21:55:57 -0400 (EDT)
" From:adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  (Sandwich Maker)
"
" yes, there were single-pattern sr4 bells - my '65 hotrod project
" american had one.  it did not have any place to drill for the wide
" ford t150/t176 pattern.  i don't have facts but i believe the sr4 and
" t150 bells weren't combined into a single multipattern one until about
" '80.
"
" there is more than one '72-up six bell.  the only 3sp '72-4 was the
" t14; the t150 wasn't used until '75 and the sr4 even later.
" ----------------------
"
" I know the bell I had came from a 1979, so I can verify that "about
" 80" is correct (1979 is "about" 80, right?). I've been told by others
" that they have found the multi bell in 77 and 78 models, but can't say
" that I've seen one for sure. I didn't know there was a single pattern
" bell for the SR4. Most I've talked to were using them for T-5
" conversions and may not have known exactly what the T-150/176 pattern
" looked like, that may account for the 77-78 "sightings" -- they may be
" SR4 pattern only.
"
" I know there is more than on 72+ six bell, but they are all the same
" depth. Well, maybe that supposed Mexican T-10 six bell is deeper, but
" I don't know if it would be pre or post 72. It's possible that a deep
" bell for the six was made to accommodate heavy duty three speeds
" (usually the V-8 three speed) for fleet service 72+, I know AMC did
" that for the 60s cars.

i have what i was told was a mexican t-10 bell, and i can tell you it
fits the '60s sixes and is deeper.  besides the amc t10 pattern it
also has meat in the right places to drill and tap a gm tranny pattern
but it's waaay too deep for a gm input - did the mexican t10s maybe
have gm cases?  and btw this is the only example i've ever heard of.

my '66 01 tsm has a fleet supplement which lists a t86 option, and by
all accounts it's the v8 tranny, long input and all.  i'm not sure if
it lists an hd bell but i recall the mitchell interchange listing one,
used with the t86 '65-7, t15 '68-9.  i've never heard of an actual one.

the common car i6 bells are all shallow; you're right, there.

'72-4/5 jeeps used the gen2 v8 bell with a t15 or jeep t14.  unlike
the '68-'74+ [some say '76 in gremlins] car t14, which had a t96
'face', the jeep t14 had a t86 'face' same as the t15.  the t18
definitely had its own bell before '75, possibly more than one over
the years.

'75-9 jeeps - cjs, at least - used the car t150 and bell, and a
ford-pattern t18 optionally.  as jim reminds, big jeeps tended to have
long input shafts.