Re: [AMC-list] Thinking 'bout transmissions

Re: [AMC-list] Thinking 'bout transmissions

" From: BruceG <bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" T14 is on the way.
" Looking for a 2 barrel intake for the 232/258. Anyone have one for sale?
" Considering the exhaust system and the cam. Won't mess with the head.
" I'm thinking if I were to go that route, I'd just pick up a 258, put it
" in a corner and use it for a project.
"
" Anybody here got's an aardvark? Or a 2 barrel intake for a 232 / 258?

which of the 3 factory 2bbl intakes do you want?
1. '64-'70 carter wcd, inline
2. '76-'80? carter bbd, crossways
both these are married to the same exhaust as 1bbl intakes.
3. '81-'90 carter bbd, separate from exhaust, water and/or electric
   heated.

2 and 3 have more even fuel/air distribution than 1.

2 and 3, and i believe 1, have the industry standard 'small' 2bbl
pattern, which means quite a number of carbs bolt on without adapters.

for instance, mopar 318s also came with a carter bbd, or later with a
holley 2200, with larger throttle bores than the 258's bbd.  otoh they
don't have chokes, as mopar mounted them remotely from the carbs, but
you can use the base from a 318 bbd with the top from a 258 bbd.

afaik both motorcraft and rochester also made carbs with the 'small'
pattern.

you ought to recurve your distributor too [if you haven't already], to
unlock a startling amount of 'free' hp.  recurve kits for the delco
are cheap and plentiful.  if you go with the hei upgrade, kits for
that are easy too.