To: "AMC, Rambler, Nash, Jeep and family" <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 2:51 PM
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] gear ratios

The tire should turn about 851 times in a mile, give or take about 4%. Tires of the same size from different manufacturers sometimes have different rolling
diameters.
I figure 15.4 at 2000 in first and 82.4 and 2000 in 5th.

Ken

Armand

(0.00595) * (RPM * r) / (R1 * R2) = vehicle speed in miles/hour
where:
RPM = engine speed, in revolutions/minute
r = loaded tire radius (wheel center to pavement), in inches
R1 = transmission gear ratio
R2 = rear axle ratio>

Quoting Armand Eshleman <aje1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

I have a 2.73 ratio in the rear axle, the rear tires are 245/45R-16.
The tire is 24.7 inches in diameter
The T5 has a 3.35 first gear.
Fifth overdrive is .63

Can anyone expand on this?

What speed will the car be going in first gear at 2000 rpm.

What speed will the car be going in fifth gear at 2000 rpm.

I know there's a formula for this bt of course my used up brain cells cannot

figure it out.

thanks,

Armand