Re: [AMC-list] 232 engine head.

I've had 4.2L heads posted for sale for some time and no-one has been interested. ($50 with the '80 tin cover) The combustion chamber was made bigger on the later models, which will affect compression ratio. I found that out when I put an early 72 head on my late '70s model engine. Ran like a rocket but burnt oil like crazy until the pistons collapsed.

From: "Thomas Garner" <Tgarner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "AMC List" <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-list] 232 engine head.

Ok, I have been told several times that if the opportunity arose, that I should put a 4.0 or 4.2 liter head on my 232 engine. (1964 AMC Rambler Classic)
 Well my car was sitting for about 3 years. I finally got around to putting on a 2bbl carb./intake/exhaust manifold setup on it, and actually drove it from it's 3 year spot in my yard.
 It ran like crap. I have been working on and it and I found a vacuum leak or three here and there. It helped considerably, but still not right. I moved around to the passenger side while it was running and I saw water (and oil too I think) bubbling out pretty good on the side of my engine where the head and block meet. DANG DANG DANG.
 Well after my momentary "2 year old" like temper tantrum, I decided to browse Craigslist for a 4.0 or 4.2 head.

 I haven't really had luck with the 4.2, but I've found several 4.0 heads. It seems I remember, and googled, that the 4.0 was the way to go anyways.
 My 2 bbl carb./intake setup came off an 1981 Spirit with a 258.
 I'm guessing I won't have a problem getting the 4.0 head to mate with the 258 intake/exhaust, but not sure. Will it work ok? Will I be ok using my 2 bbl carb. setup on a 4.0 head or does it have to be fuel injection? Do I need or should I get a specific year head?

 I can get a 96 or 98 head for $50 each or I can buy a complete 4.0 engine that was in a wreck for $150, but the head has apparently been rebuilt recently.

 Anybody got some info?