Re: [AMC-list] 232 engine head.

" From: "Thomas Garner" <Tgarner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" Ok, I have been  told several times that if the opportunity arose, that I should put a 4.0 or 4.2 liter head on my 232 engine. (1964 AMC Rambler Classic)
"  Well my car was sitting for about 3 years. I finally got around to putting on a 2bbl carb./intake/exhaust manifold setup on it, and actually drove it from it's 3 year spot in my yard.
"  It ran like crap. I have been working on and it and I found a vacuum leak or three here and there. It helped considerably, but still not right. I moved around to the passenger side while it was running and I saw water (and oil too I think) bubbling out pretty good on the side of my engine where the head and block meet. DANG DANG DANG.

if you have just a blown gasket and not a cracked head or block - or
internal damage - just fixing it has a certain attraction...

do you have the intake water passage hooked up?  the electric
start-aid heater?  both help fuel vaporization and mixture
distribution.

dunno how much current the heater draws but for sure the stock 35a alt
won't cut it.  the hd opt 55a moto is a direct swap though, same reg.

"  Well after my momentary "2 year old" like temper tantrum, I decided to browse Craigslist for a 4.0 or 4.2 head.

don't bother with a 4.2 head; it's basically the same as what you have
now.

"   I haven't really had luck with the 4.2, but I've found several 4.0 heads. It seems I remember, and googled, that the 4.0 was the way to go anyways.
"  My 2 bbl carb./intake setup came off an 1981 Spirit with a 258.
"  I'm guessing I won't have a problem getting the 4.0 head to mate with the 258 intake/exhaust, but not sure. Will it work ok? Will I be ok using my 2 bbl carb. setup on a 4.0 head or does it have to be fuel injection? Do I need or should I get a specific year head?

'ho' ['91-up] heads flow better than early 4.0 heads.  both are better
than 199/232/258.

you have to use a 4.0 exhaust; the center ports are spaced a little
differently than the 199/232/258 heads.  the carb intake will work but
the registration dowels are useless as the 4.0 ports are higher on the
head.  it's been done.

"  I can get a 96 or 98 head for $50 each or I can buy a complete 4.0 engine that was in a wreck for $150, but the head has apparently been rebuilt recently.

an entire 4.0 has some attraction, but at the very least you'd need a
new bellhousing - amc sixes after '72 have the larger v8 pattern.  a
v8 transmission would also be desireable; the efi 4.0 is a lot more
powerful than the older carbed sixes.

if you swap just the head, you'll have some gains over your current
setup, but also more work getting it to work right.

"  Anybody got some info?

frank swygert put a 4.0 into a '63 classic, complete with efi.