[AMC-list] Non Bendix 10" rear brakes

Having trouble trying to get the auto-adjusters to play nicely; a quick Google suggests I am not alone. I only do about 400-500 miles a year - the garage guy suggested I could weld them in place, but I'd rather try to them working properly.  I have the TSM but it doesn't have any great tips to impart. The basic problem is that the adjusters just stay at the slackest setting and always spring back there.