Re: [AMC-list] Car sitting VERY low to the ground

Re: [AMC-list] Car sitting VERY low to the ground

How low is low? The crossmember in the center under the engine is a bit low on the 63-66 Classic. IIRC it's only 5-6" off the ground. No worry about speed bumps -- the lowest part is right between the front wheels, so it goes up when they do. Crossing one at a sharp angle so neither tire is on the bump might produce a drag with a couple people in the car, but only for a very short time.

On 5/9/2012 9:24 AM, Thomas Garner spouted this sage advice:

I have 1964 Rambler Classic that has been sitting for a little over 3 years. I was unable to work on on it for a while. Now I'm back on it and I've had it running and have a couple more things to do and it'll be ready. One thing I have noticed, however, is that it is sitting VERY LOW to the ground now. I had noticed it but thought it could be my imagination, until a buddy of mine who helped me work on it a few years ago came over and commented on how low it was to the ground and that he didn't remember it being so low.
   I asked him if the shocks would cause this and he didn't know, but he pushed down on the front of the car and let go and it didn't bounce much so he said the shock's seemed fine.
   So what should I check? What would make it sink low to the ground? I don't think I could get over most speed bumps with the car as low as it is now.

--
Frank Swygert
Editor - American Motors Cars Magazine