Re: [AMC-list] Electric Power Steering

Armand,

Dunno about the power requirements, but bigger alternators aren't that hard to come by - either have your stock one rebuilt by a good auto electric place, or as you noted, there are other options.  With A/C, electric cooling fans, EFI, and the EPS, I'd think you need somewhere in the 100ish amps but would need to see what each draws to know for sure.

I did find one company - Unisteer - that sells a couple of different retrofit kits:

http://www.unisteer.com/electric_power_steering.html

But they are pricey; I'd think you could do better doing a boneyard EPS.  I originally wasn't thinking of putting it on the column - I'm planning on replacing my stock one with a aftermarket anyway (i.e. IDIDIT, Flaming River) as mine needs rebuild and is a 3 on the tree version.  I was thinking to do it down low just before the box/R&P.

That's why I asked, to see if anyone knows if it's been done to one of our cars and how.

Jim Boone

Mims, FL