Re: [AMC-list] Transmission cable

Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 01:35:39 -0700
From: "Thomas Garner"<Tgarner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hey guys, I'm back on my Rambler now. I got a 64 Classic with a 232. I've changed out the intake and carb for a 2 bbl setup. I haven't gotten it all hooked and running yet cause I got busy with things over the last couple years.
 My question is what to do with the transmission cable? I'm still figuring out the accelerator cable, but that shouldn't be too bad, but I have got to figure out what to do with the cable transmission.
The 1 bbl setup had the linkage on the end of the carb and it would pull the cable up, but on the 2bbl, the linkage is mounted on the side.
------------------

The important things:
cable must push in
must have the same amount of travel

You can mount it any way you want as long as it's long enough to reach and has those two requirements.

Go to your old carb. Note how many degrees of rotation it has (how far it turns from idle to wide open. Compare that with the new carb. They should be about the same. If so amount of travel won't be a problem. All you have to do is measure from the center of the shaft to the center of the cable hole on the original linkage. You now need someplace on the carb or linkage that is that same length. If you're using a throttle cable and the transmission cable will reach the carb you can mount the cable near the carb and find a hole in the side where you need it. You may have to make an arm to screw to the side of the carb linkage.

I have seen others where they used a cable throttle but the trans cable wouldn't reach far enough to mount to the carb. One guy mounted the original throttle linkage rod that went from the firewall to the carb (63-64 Classic) on the engine and just didn't use the rod from the gas pedal up. He had to shorten the rod at the carb end to make it work. He screwed the end to the carb linkage.

You'll have to get a little creative! You can wire the linkage on the carb instead of screw, just make sure everything is tight and won't slip or come off. If you don't have access to a small wire welder it's a little more difficult, but can be done without welding.

I made linkage for a two carb setup with the M-35 cable transmission. I used a piece of 1/4" threaded rod with four "arms" made of 1/2" wide x 1/8" steel bar stock. The arms simply had a 1/4" hole drilled near one end to slip over the rod. A nut was used on each side of the arm with a lock washer on one side to hold the arm in place. I just drilled several 1/16" holes about 1/8" apart for the carbs, drilled a hole for the trans cable the same distance as the original linkage. I adjusted the trans cable arm first, then put the carbs arms where I needed them. I used stiff wire (coat hanger, IIRC) to link the arms to the carbs. The fourth arm was for the gas pedal rod -- that arm was made the same length as the original also. The really cool thing about this setup was the arms could be adjusted to any angle independent of each other. Two wrenches locked them in place. I just used a couple pieces of the 1/2" bar stock drilled and bent to mount to the intake bolts for supports. It
 didn't look really good, but it was very functional and simple to make. I think I'd use a 3/8" piece of threaded rod is I had to do it again, or cut pieces of steel tubing to go between the arms with a washer between the arm and tubing, nut and lock washer just on one side. You'd have to cut the tubing after the distances along the rod were determined. With the tubing I'd still use 1/4" threaded rod so the tubing wouldn't have to be too big.

--
Frank Swygert
Editor - American Motors Cars Magazine