Re: [AMC-list] AMC-list Digest, Vol 37, Issue 2

Re: [AMC-list] AMC-list Digest, Vol 37, Issue 2

Ok, I did not put it in park while it was moving. What I meant by "until it came to a complete rest" was, I would come to a stop, shift to park but continue to hold the shifter firmly in 'park' and then let my foot off the brake to allow park to "catch". It is possible the linkage could be adjusted to fix this problem, I dont know. I never got a chance to mess with that. I do know that it didn't do this until it got hit.

 As for using the parking brake, the parking brake cable was broken when I got the car. I found a cable that I was able to make work. The exhaust system fell apart and I didn't have the money to replace it so I cut it off where it was still solid (under the drivers seat) and installed a new muffler. The heat from the muffler melted the inside of the cable housing causing the cable to freeze up. I Know about not relying the tranny to hold it on a hill. I did use the parking brake when it worked, which was a good thing because a co-worker one time decided to use this car as a parking brake because he couldn't get his car started and didn't trust his parking brake to hold his car. He was driving a full size Camaro and using this little Rambler to hold his car. I did a lot of yelling and told him next time put a rock or something in front of the wheel or roll it against the utility pole.