Re: [AMC-list] Putting an AX-15 behind a 290 (was: Re: Fw:)

Same bolt pattern but no way to center the flywheel on the crank (no centering flange)

From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] Putting an AX-15 behind a 290 (was: Re:  Fw:)

Jim, don't the GEN-2/3 V-8 and the late models sixes have the same flywheel bolt pattern? I thought they did... If they do use the 4.0L flywheel. Hmmm... diameter might be a problem, but since the bell bolt pattern is the same, I think the diameter (number of ring gear teeth) are the same also. I bet you have a six flywheel or flexplate around to check...

Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 14:33:52 -0800
From: Jim Blair<carnuck@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I'm looking at putting an AX15 behind my 290 and thought about using the 327 flywheel I have (since 290 ones all seem to have gone to scrap) to put a bigger clutch in, but I also wanted to run an XJ starter, so that may be a pipe dream. Anyone have ideas on this?

--
Frank Swygert