Re: [AMC-list] recycled oil

I don't watch much TV except a couple of shows on Hulu.   I have not seen the
recycled oil comercials but I worked for the company which owned and operated
the only oil
re-refinery west of the Mississippi River.   I was in environmental management
and I was intimately familiar with the process.  True recycled oil has been
re-refined, meaning that
it has be vacuum distilled at high temperature and the distillate has been
subjected to the hydroforming process which uses a catalyst to replace harmful
elements like sulfur on the

hydrocarbon molecule.   The sulfur is then extracted and the outlet from the
process is a clear (We called it water white.) liquid which resembled mineral
oil you can buy
at the pharmacy.   Most of  our product was sold to folks like WD-40 (and also
used in 3in1 Oil, owned by the same company) and to Texaco and other oil
companies for use
in packaged greases.    Oil companies were reluctant at that time to use it in
blended motor oil because they felt the "recycled" connotation would result in
warranty issues only

because of the perception that it was not as good as virgin oil.  Union Oil
company, for a time in the 1980s did blend our product into recycled Union 76
motor oil which was clearly
labelled recycled , but it did not sell well or the profit margin wasn't
sufficient, so it was discontinued.

It is interesting that we our feedstock was used oill, as drained, which would
include increasig amounts of synthetic oil as use of synthtetics increased.  Our
engineers felt that

the synthetics only improved the quality of our products.

Recycled oil got a bad reputation in the past because most recyclers only heated
the oil to extract the moisture and volatiles like gasoline then filtered it
before sale.  The oil still contained most of the harmful
acids and components likely to result in acids.

Joe Fulton