Re: [AMC-list] Foam filled rocker panels

Re: [AMC-list] Foam filled rocker panels

Armand said:

"If this weren't true, wouldn't the auto manufacturers have done this some
time ago?"

In fact, auto manufacturers DO put expandable foam in their rocker panels and other places these days. One of the I-car training classes I attended covered the expandable foam as a body treatment for NVH and it's a common thing for many manufacturers to install the foam in new cars.

I know for a fact that the 1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokees have foam filled rocker panels. I've seen it when sectioning a portion of the outer rocker. According to the I-car classes it's also common amongst more of the higher end cars.

I think it's a special moisture resistant foam and NOT the stuff you buy at Home Depot.

Jeff Reeves
Auburn, GA
72 Javelin SST
68 AMX (x2---one for sale)