[AMC-list] nigerian scammers,tis season to scam (was: cheap

[AMC-list] nigerian scammers,tis season to scam (was: cheap

Another heads up for auto parts related scams, supposedly originating
from
Great Britain....

I've been searching for a decklid
for my '28 Dodge Brothers 3-window coupe
for several
years.   I advertised in the "auto parts wanted"
sections of
several Dodge Brothers websites, in search of a
decklid.  Earlier this month
I was contacted by a person (via a
gmail e-mail) who purported to be from
England and stated that
he had exactly the part that I wanted.  Wary of fraud, I forwarded
incorrect
measurements and totally-bogus pictures to the dude, and he
responded that
he had the exact part in hand, just taken off of a '28
Dodge Brothers.  He
was clearly lying and attempting to get me
to pay for a part that he did not
have.  When I confronted him
via e-mail, he stopped corresponding with me.
I had received a
similar e-mail, apparently from a different "Englishman",
last year.  There was a posting on the AACA website from an
individual that
fell for such a scam, mailing off $350 to an English
address, and never
receiving the part.  Attempts to contact the
seller were unsuccessful.

It's nasty out there...

Dan