You can get yourself a 68 bearing retainer for your trans or get a 71 and
newer throwout bearing
and you should be fine

In a message dated 10/24/2011 7:28:51 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
amcer@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I think  there are two throwout bearings. The earlier one is smaller in
diameter  than the '70-up. You probably have the later  bearing.

-Steve-

----- Original Message -----
From:  "John Lunde" <lunde@xxxxxxxxxx>
To:  <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, October 23, 2011 9:55  PM
Subject: [AMC-list] 68 AMX Clutch question

> Hello  all,
>
> as I was reassembling my clutch on my 68 AMX, I found  that the throwout
> bearing(which is new) is really loose around the  front bearing
> retainer(the part that surrounds the input shaft and  the throwout
bearing
> slides back and forth on)!
>
> The  bearing retainer looks like it is in good shape but I figured it
>  should be a tighter fit than what I'm seeing.
>
> Any of you folks  have some feedback on this?
>
> Thanks,
>
>  John
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the  World Wide Web, visit
>         http://list.amc-list.com/listinfo.cgi/amc-list-amc-list.com
> or, via  email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>     amc-list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> You can reach  the person managing the list at
>         amc-list-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> When replying, please edit  your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of  AMC-list digest..."
>

> Today's  Topics:
>
>   1. Re: amc titles & saving AMC  intermediates (Eddie Stakes)
>   2. Re: amc titles &  saving AMC intermediates (Bruce Griffis)
>   3. Re: amc titles  & saving AMC intermediates (Eddie Stakes)

>  Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 14:34:45 -0500
> From: "Eddie  Stakes" <eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To:  <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,  <baadassGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [AMC-list] amc  titles & saving AMC intermediates
>
> Eddie Stakes"  <eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> Nice looking 74 Matador  coupe in rare Brilliant Green color
>
>  http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/2660465647.html
>
> And Marc  mentioned:
>
> What's the deal with all these people who want to  sell a car but aren't
> organized enough
> to get a title?   I'm seeing a lot more of this lately.
> Maybe it's cuz titling fees have  gotten so friggin' outrageous that more
> people are
> thinking  it's not worth it to bother.  I know in VA it costs a minimum
of
>  $50 ($35 minimum
> tax, $10 titling fee, etc) just to get a piece of  paper that says you
own
> a parts car or
> future project  car...
> -- Marc
>
> Most 'bonded' titles are in the $250  range now. To me still a bargain to
> secure a car you
> may or  may not fix up or may/may not part out.
>
> This beautiful 67  Ambassador wagon with 343 4 barrel the guy emailed me
> months ago  with
> photos, was basically looking to give itaway if someone restore  it. Uber
> rare color and a
> woodie to boot:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1967-AMC-Ambassador-wagon-343-4bbl-restorable-extra-spare-parts-shop-manual-/290621296042?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item43aa6
10daa

>  although he mentioned it 'might end up as parts car' for someone fixing
up
> a AMX or
> Javelin. Which....is what has happened to thousands  of 'big body' AMC
cars
> thru years,
> cannibalized for their  engine, or trans. I'm a big fan of six cylinder
> Javelins but  few
> exist as many people even in 1970s, used to drop 390s, 401s or  Chevy
> something in
> there....or they got parted out to use  parts on AMX or V8 Javelin. A lot
> of this was and
> still is,  supply & demand you know.
>
> Not big, if any, market for four  door, or wagon AMC anything. There is
> rare 360V8 N code
>  Hornet Sportabout wagon in Phoenix now for months. Rare car! There is a
> neat 69 Rebel
> wagon for sale in New Orleans craigslist for  sale for $4K/obo, nice car
> but will be hard
> to find someone  willing to give 1/2 of that for it sadly.
>
> Shoved down at near  bottom of the AMCS FOR SALE file, formerly the Shut
Up
> [...]

> I love AMC wagons, and yes, not much interest in  them. Never has been,
but
> that can be
> said for many a AMC  'breat and butter' cars that kept AMC in business
year
> after  year.
> These were the cars that filled the dealerships, the muscle cars  were
eye
> candy to get you
> in dealerships. I could go on here  and waste bandwidth (as am known to
> do!) but even AMC's
> own  marketing films encouraged dealers to 'sell from stock' by getting
>  folks in the
> dealership (or lot) and while their eye might have been  on that red,
white
> and blue Rebel
> on the dance floor, try to  sell them that big bad green Rebel on the lot:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AMC-SST-1970-AMC-Big-Bad-Green-Rebel-SST-Hardtop-like-Machine-51k-SURVIVOR-70-original-/360402304179?pt=US_Cars_Trucks
&hash=item53e9a6bcb3Terry
-
> $1500 (really in  Bosque Farms)This guy ripped me off for $500 last year
on
> these same  cars. Do NOT trust him. He DOE!
> SNOT have titles for these Javelins!  HE GAVE ME SOME SONG AND DANCE AB
> OUT THE TITLES BEINGIN COLORADO. He  took my money and would not come up
> with the titles, the cars or give  memy money back!!!! DO NOT TRY TO BUY
> FROM HIM OR YOU WILL GET  SCREWED!!! I knew this a-holewould post these
> again eventually. Not  only that, the green one doesn't have a T-10,
it'san
> automatic. Feel  free to call me for the details. 505-250-5030Yikes!While
> Davis chimed  in:"Too bad you guys live in tittle states. CT, Maine, and
NH

Stakes713.464.8825eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx