To: <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2011 3:45 AM
Subject: [AMC-list] 290 V8 Heat Riser

I have the 67 and 68 shop manuals, but there's only a brief description of
the heat riser setup.  Can someone share a bit of wisdom - are they really
essential on a car that's not a daily driver?  If not, how can I bypass it
(I think some the Chevy guys wire theirs open or even remove the butterfly
valve.)? I don't even know if it's working right, but I have some suspicions
that either it or the auto choke or both may be sticking on - I get a fast
idle when warmed up that I can clear by "blipping" the throttle, but I often
get a "splutter" and occasional stall when I move off from rest once the
engine's warm - it is never happy idling at traffic lights but runs fine
once at 5-10 mph or above. There are no signs of overheating - although the
temp guage doesn't work, I don't get steam etc.