From: Jesse
To: "AMC-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
Subject: [AMC-list] Balancing 401 Crank

Dittos on all Frank noted, with one caveat. ?Since you are balancing the whole assembly, you don't even have to worry about using a 360 flywheel/flexplate. Any later V8 would require the same steps. ?

In reality, the flywheel/flexplates from the 258 are easier to use, often cheaper to find and start out at 0 (Zero) balance. ?258's are internally balanced, so you won't have to deal with weight removal or counterbalancing. ?The size is the same as long as it comes from a 72 and up 258 that uses the Motorcraft starter. ?

After.... 87 or 88 many 258's AND 360's used the smaller flywheel and Hitachi Gear Reduction starter, which won't work with the Motorcraft starter. ?Of course, the Hitachi Starter is newer technology and more efficient than the older Ford design, so if you can ?score one and balance that to be used with your 401, that would be cool! ?My bud Rich in St Louis just did that to a 401 in his 90 Grand Wagoneer and is very happy with it. ?