Re: [AMC-list] 401 Crank into a 343 how to sought

Re: [AMC-list] 401 Crank into a 343 how to sought

1. As stated, GEN-2 (66-69 290/343/390) and GEN-3 (70+ 304/360/401 and a special piston for 1970 only 390) AMC V-8s all use the same bell housing bolt pattern. Crank flange is different for pre 72 and 72+ -- Borg-Warner or Chrysler automatics. I believe the stick shift flywheels interchange, may require a little machine work on a 72+ to fit a flat flanged 66-69, not sure. Bolt pattern is the same, but the 72+ crank has a raised center to fit the Chrysler style automatic flexplate.

2. When mixing cranks the engine MUST be balanced. The factory balance is close enough for a rotating assembly made up of all matching factory parts, but you aren't using 401 pistons and rods with the 401 crank (block is irrelevant since it doesn't move). So I wouldn't worry about getting a 401 flywheel or flexplate. The 360 flywheel/flexplate can be used and then all the rotating assembly must be balanced together. Those parts will then only be good for that engine, but that's the way something like this has to be done. If lighter (or heavier) than stock aftermarket rods are used the whole rotating assembly needs to be balanced anyway.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"