To: <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2011 11:54 PM
Subject: [AMC-list] Too Many Cars but Fun Mostly

I brought home a one-owner 62 Classic wagon last weekend. I had purchased it
last January and the seller had stored it free of charge but he finally wanted
it moved.
It has a little body damage in front but absolutely no rust. It was purchased new at Friendly Rambler in Redwood City in July of 1962. The date code of the
engine is July 62 also
so it didn't sit on the lot long. I has the cast iron 195.6 and is a 3-speed
with overdrive. Unfortunately the engine is locked up from sitting (I
think). There are no obvious signs of

a blown head gasket (oil in coolant or water in the oil). I'm soaking it with PB Blaster in the cylinders and I'll try a pry bar on the flywheel tomorrow to
see if I can free it up.

I got my 64 Classic back on the road today. The last thing I needed for
driveability was a new muffler. I drove it to the muffler shop slowly with a
straight exhaust pipe and it wasn't too
loud even then. The shifter seems to be worn and it tends to jam on the 2nd/3rd
gear upshift. I've adjusted the shift levers as stated in the TSM but that
hasn't cured the problem. I think
there are worn parts in the column.

The 65 American is sitting in the garage awaiting a transmission swap. The
T-35 was slipping some and leaking. I think I damaged the front pump seal
(which was new at the time) when I installed
the transmission. The leak seems to be coming from that area. I have another
used transmission which was really clean inside when I removed the oil pan.

Joe Fulton