Re: [AMC-list] brakes

Thanks for your reply. I am replacing all the rear brake parts but everything I got did not fit. M onday when I was on the phone with a local parts they asked for the shoe width. I asked my son to go out and measure the shoe width and drum Id. he said the I d. was 10" and the shoe width was 3". W ell after reading your mail and the other's I went out and checked for  my self. The Id was 10" and the shoe width was 2.5"  not 3". Most of the people have said these must be for a Matador    this must of been a preformance upgrade. Both my 1978 and my1977 AMX package cars have these same rear brakes. I read my technical service manual for 1977 and this was not listed as an option.  Also my name is Canada and I am from Illinois USA. Thank you Michael Canada.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Frank Swygert" <farna@xxxxxxx>
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: mccanada@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 9:32:53 AM
Subject: re: brakes

The size is wrong, as others have pointed out. That might be the problem. I suppose you know that if you change the brakes you need new shoes on the left and right sides, DO NOT change just one side! That would lead to the brakes pulling, probably badly.

If the local parts houses don't have a listing (sometimes the computers only go back so far), go to www.rockauto.com and look up the part for your car. If anyone still makes them they will have a listing. You can then go to the local supplier with the manufacturer and part number. They can look it up in the computer by the part number, and will likely have to special order it. Since you are in Canada that will probably be cheaper than paying shipping from Rock Auto. Might not be though -- check! Sometimes there is a big difference in prices. Rock Auto mainly drop ships larger items, so they don't have to keep a big warehouse and can charge less since they don't have as large an overhead cost as traditional stores.

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 01:04:52 +0000 (UTC)
From:mccanada@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi I cant find any parts house that has the right rear brakes for my 1977 Hornet AMX. It has 10" dia drums and 3" wide pads. Does anyone have any information on what and where I can find these parts.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"