Re: [AMC-list] headlight not lit

This is for sure a ground problem (my 68 American did the same thing with a loose ground). I'm not sure where the ground wire attaches on an AMX. On Americans, the ground wire is by the fan motor in the engine compartment (it attaches to a stud). It looks like it will have 3 black wires going to it. If it helps, you can see a color version of the wiring diagram at http://www.mattsoldcars.com/techinfo/images/68jav.gif .

The headlight circuit breaker is part of the headlight switch. Usually, a problem there will cause the headlights to blink.

Matt

On 7/19/2011 1:05 PM, C The spouted this sage advice:

  hey all,

   i recently got my '68 AMX back from the paint shop where
they had the fenders off&  therefore -headlights.

   didn't notice till i got home&  a few days later, the headlights
don't come on (neither do parking lights).

    i see from the chilton's wiring diagram there should be a ground
on the headlight wires.

   perhaps that's the problem?  i traced the headlight wires and don't see
any where obvious that something should be connected to the body,
though i don't really know what i'm looking for, an obvious wire
going into a screw?

but hey upside down and backwards i could be missing something.

so if that is a good guess can someone tell me where to be looking?
or if not a good guess, what else?

other info :

- fuses all ok
- headlight hi beam is always on when light switch on
- headlight warning buzzer works when light switch on
- brake lights work, fan
- chilton's AMC book shows the headlights on a circuit
breaker.  assuming that resets itself if there was a problem?

--paint looks good though,  carl