Re: [AMC-list] 195.6 64 Classic w/5 speed

Re: [AMC-list] 195.6 64 Classic w/5 speed

" From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
"
" Well, I got pics from the guy with the car. Unfortunately I can't tell
" what kind of trans it is. Car is too low. All I can see is a ribbed
" aluminum case, can't even tell if an adapter is used. It looks more like
" a Toyota small truck five speed (R-154?) than a T-5. The gear shift
" comes up right under the front edge of the bench seat. The shifter lever
" is "u" shaped to curve forward, up, and back a bit around the front of
" the seat.

aisin warners have ribbed cases, but so do many other trannies.

the r150 family was and is used in a wide variety of cars and trucks;
the r154 is a c/r version used in turbo supras about '90 or so.  the
jeep ax15 and trailblazer ar5 are also versions.

it could as easily be a smaller g50/w50 family box, given the 196's
power.  jeep's ax5 is another version.

btw recently learned aisin is co-owned by toyota and seiko.

" Well, we at least know a five speed can be fitted to a 196 now....

stu fitchett did an r150 to 232 in a car like this many years ago, and
the early 232 bellhousing pattern is the same as the 196.

i'm wondering if he kept the enclosed driveline!