Re: [AMC-list] HMX back on the road!- Marc Montoni

Re: [AMC-list] HMX back on the road!- Marc Montoni

Short answer I don’t know. Can’t find the specs I thought I had seen before.
What I can say is spring rate and ride height should match intended use and
power level. Without getting into roll center height and stuff that is beyond my
current knowledge level it is smart to illustrate a few basics:

Stock AMX rear spring specs for the uprated “Ralley tuned” version is 110 lbs.
per inch. The stock rear roll-bar imparts 85 lbs. per inch .  Front specs are
hazy but the max front spring pressure listed, that I know about, was 350 lbs
per inch-my guess was the ’79 with optional suspension rate was 325 lbs. to 350
approximately. Coupled to the AMX bar that goes up to an additional 325 lbs. per
sq. inch. When the wheel rate is calculated the total factors in at about 490
lbs. per sq inch when cornering.

 Dropping the spring an inch changes the requirement and thus I’d increase the
spring 25 % or roughly 422 lbs per inch which would result in a net wheel height
( center of wheel- presumably hub height and approximately mid-spring ) of 165
lbs wheel rate.  That would work coupled with a light intake, headers and small
starter. Goes without saying to also locate the bar with urethane bushes and top
grade fasteners ( if they are bigger than stock- even better )

At the rear with less arch to achieve 1 inch drop probably want to go about 15
to 20 percent, maybe only 10 percent based upon leaf dynamics. So 125 lbs per
inch would be my guess.

Contacting the spring maker of choice ( not a vendor ) and stating your goals
will result in the best result

Regarding the Mitchell bar pak. I got mine directly from Tony Zamisch's Defender
Javelin including his better attachment blocks. Will have to experiment because
for a shorter wheel base AMX with torque links the rear bar may be too stiff
without backing off on the rear spring spec.

Interesting that the '79 AMX uses, instead of links, staggered rear shocks.

Message: 5