[AMC-list] Ramblers and Ramblin'On

I hope that if people that think like myself and Frank and others that get
the magnitude of the issue at hand that simply sweeping things that aren't
easily solved away will have a worthy alternative-  keeping at it- and
influencing others through efforts of our own. So I'll keep preaching- and
not just to the choir.

There's truth in what is quoted below. But if one stops at that and resigns
themself to being swept along by the tide of inertia and "things beyond our
control" then that becomes a self-fulfilling end.

 I must point out I'm not attacking anyone for their view. What I am doing
is respectfully disagreeing and by so doing laying out my position and
reason for it. People are free to believe and do as they wish as a result.

Before moving ahead a short introduction is necessary. I'm Steve Avery and
have been an active AMC owner for thirteen years. I also have been an active
participant in the online AMC world over the same period, starting out on
the original AMXfiles in 1998. Over the years personal enlightenment and
folly, as well as a mixed reputation have followed, hand in hand. If the
name menas anything to any of you and it has positive connotations that is
naturally wonderful. If the connotations are negative, well it is what it
is. If the name means nothing, that is the best as we are starting with a
blank slate.

   The thing about "kids" ( and for some 40 is a "kid" ) and instant
gratification is that it truly is abroad brush to paint our "inheritors"
with. In making the statement about why it's not worth passing the torch
onto others that view, that the problem can't be solved, and will only
worsen, is an example of instant gratification speaking.

  And that's good! because it means that no matter what one's age or
background some are always going to expect things instantly. It's not a
generational thing per se, but a personality thing. And in that, lies
salvation. For every one that expects instant, trouble-free results, are
those that dig deeper and work with adversity.

The so called "kits"  for today are fraught with the same limitations as
back when many AMCphiles were younger or even now when they are still
modifying Ramblers. If it ain't factory, personal input is required for
parts that did not originate to any automobile at hand. There are those that
will throw their hands up in disgust when something doesn't fall into place
and there are those that will persevere. To assume that today's young uns
all would rather text than teach or play computer games rather than play
with the limitless possibilities in each day means someone needs to get out
more!

To be continued...

Steve

"All true, however......
The problem with kids is they have a very short attention span. We all did
as kids but it seems to get worse now that kids have instant gratifiction
with all this computer garbage. How that relates to the AMC world is there
are no "kits" to drop in that 750 Ci, 30,000HP crate motor that is in every
car featured in every magazine. When you tell the average kid that he will
have to do some metal fabbing, welding, measuring, figuring, etc, well his
eyes start to glaze, he scratches his head and plugs in his Iphone.
I may be painting todays kid with a broad brush but I talk to kids and they
all want to buy the stuuf and bolt it in. You can't do that with our
Ramblers. You need to stay in the family in order to "bolt things together"
and there is not enough AMC flash featured in the magazines. And kids love
flash. CC tossed us a bone, thanks for that, but they are back to featuring
Camaros and Cudas.
I don't see kids learning to weld and fab. Back in "the day" we had to
scramble over each other to get into the shops in school. We leaned over a
fender watching our neighbor tune his car or pull the head to do a valve
job.
No. I see our Ramlers in the near future being tossed in the heap, if they
aren't already, and forgotten as legislation against home car repairs and
modification ?marches on, crusher laws expand and gated communities continue
their oppression.
This may sound just like a?grouchy old man telling kids what it was like
back in my?time, but I have been seeing this for a few years and it just
gets worse."