To: <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, March 05, 2011 7:42 PM
Subject: [AMC-list] What Did you Do?

The weather was great here on the central coast today. I pulled the T-96
overdrive tranny out of the Rambler Classic to inspect the clutch and fix the
throwout lever. That job fought me hard because of the interferences on the
driver side, mainly the exhauset pipe, which I had to drop away from the engine,

but also the torque tube adapter sticks up and restricts access to the upper
left transimision cap screw. It was a frustrating job and it took me
much of the afternoon to get the tranny out of there. Someone had replaced
the 5/8 inch cap screw with an 11/16 cap screw and it took me

awhile, with the restricted access to figure out that a 5/8 socket just would
not fit. I think these things only happen to me and it must be bad
Karma or something.

A previous owner had tampered with the drivetrain and I think the broke or lost
the spring that holds the thowout lever in place and
of course lost the pivot ball. Someone has also modified the shift rods, as I
think I've said before. I'll look over the tranny which appears from

the exterior to have have been rebuilt and painted.

I also drove the American a few miles today with my blown muffler. It really
sounds rather good
now that it is running well. It's a joy to drive. I may have an oil leak at
the rear of the engine, so I parked it on a piece of clean cardboard tonight.

Joe Fulton