Re: [AMC-list] Subject: Pertronix In and TT Disconnected

Re: [AMC-list] Subject: Pertronix In and TT Disconnected

Sounds like a couple possible scenarios.

First, upgraded coil with straight 12VDC when there should have been a resistor to the points.

Second, key left on or coming on in the off position (overshooting and hitting acc )

Third, not enough lube on cam lobe of dist or sharp edge eating the points wear bar down till the points close and fry.

Fourth, grease getting between the points and actually frying, like KFC. This happens when people grease the dist cam instead of the backside of the wear bar.

Got the Pertronix and rebuilt distributor into the Rambler today.? It sounds
much smoother and holds timing like a rock.

Did forensics on the old distributor and the points were burned pretty bad after
only about 25 miles total.? I guess that
I left the ignition on one time with the points closed or I?the condenser was
bad.? At any rate, that seems to have been?the
cause of the misfire that cost me a muffler.? A had a no-spark condition right
after I put the new distributor in but discovered
that the problem was operator error.??

Also did some organizing in the garage and got the torque tube disconnected on
the Classic.? I hope to pull the transmission
tomorrow night and inspect that clutch.??