[AMC-list] Hood Springs

I am looking for input from everyone on another problem I've encountered in the never ending saga of my 70 AMX restoration.  During the restoration process I had the hood hinges and springs powder coated.  When I put everything back together the springs did not support the hood.  It would stay up, but when the engine was started, would slowly lower to the point the hood would eventually fall.  I thought the powder coating process must have ruined the tension in the springs so I purchased another set of used hood hinges and springs.  I painted the springs (not powder coated) and put on the powder coated hinges.  I just put the hood back on and still the springs would not support the weight.   It was not easy to put the springs on the hinges as they were very tight and I was surprised they would not support the weight of the hood.  The hood is no heavier than original.  There is no heavy filler etc that would have added weight to the hood.  Has anyone experienced this?  Are the
 re after market springs available?  Are there springs for Ford/GMC that will work?
Jim